I made a trip to Mexico not long ago. I had a lot of tastes of real Mexican food with real homemade tortillas and even some fresh seafood. While authentic Mexican and fresh seafood are harder to get in the States, I’m always satisfied with Fish Tacos (see recipe below). Not only are they tasty, they are also fast. And you can vary them to your taste buds. If I owned a restaurant, I’d serve these!
And since we’re talking about food. Actually, we mostly talk about food here. Good thing – I love food! Anyways, let’s talk about Arriving Fall Candy! As you can see, Caramel Candy Corn, Gummi Sour Pumpkins, Maple Flavored Cookies, Pumpkin Spice Snack Mix and more are ready for taste buds.
For so many of you, this is a favorite time of year. And why not? The tasty flavors of pumpkin, caramel apples and s’mores best fit this weather. Stop in, we have some great seasonal tastes!
Bi-Weekly Deli Specials
This sale runs for two weeks – until September 12th.
Pan Roasted Turkey – normally $7.19 – now $6.19
Baby Swiss Cheese – normally $6.59 – now $5.59
Yogurt Vegetable Cheese – normally $7.49 – now $6.49
Donut Day – 9/16
Planning and organizing is still going on here as we count down the days until fresh donuts and coffee grace the doorstep.
Check out the display of your Top Favorite Snacks. Spend $40 at Donut Day and take home a Free “Favorite“.
Donut Forget – The Coffee Steamer will be here 8-3.
Sample some of our Butters:
Sweet Potato – New
Apple (Sugarless, too)
BBQ Apple – New
Save $1 on pints, 50¢ on half-pints.
Check out our Deli Sales:
German Bologna – $2.99
Honey Ham – $4.39
Hard Salami – $4.69
Colby – $3.99
American – $2.99
Green Onion – $3.79
Enjoy any of these flavors for just 59¢ each:
Double Chocolate Chip
Allergy Friendly Pumpkin (gluten, dairy, egg and nut free)
Fish Tacos with Coconut Avocado Crema
Ready in 25 minutes. Serves 4
- 4 tilapia fillets
- 1 can full fat coconut milk, mixed well*
- 1 ripe avocado
- 3 limes, plus more for serving
- 1 9oz bag shredded cabbage and carrots
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 8 corn tortillas
- seasoned salt (for the fish)*
- coconut or olive oil*
- ½ cup torn cilantro
- kosher salt
- black pepper*
*Available at The Country Cupboard
Prepare the slaw:
- In a large bowl mix together ½ cup coconut cream and the juice of two lime. Toss in the bag of shredded cabbage, sliced scallions and minced jalapeno. Toss slaw to mix and coat with the dressing. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Prepare the crema:
- In a small food processor, combine 1 avocado, ½ cup coconut cream and the juice of 1 lime. Blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Bake the fish:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Rinse tilapia under cool water and pat dry with paper towels. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle both sides with seasoned salt and pepper. Bake for 10 minutes or until fish is cooked through and white in the center. Remove from oven and assemble your tacos.
- Char corn tortillas quickly over an open flame to heat. Add fish, slaw and a drizzle of crema to each tortilla. Serve with cilantro and lime.