With any new thing we want to implement, we know it takes some planning and some extra time. We don’t usually get it right the first time; we make mistakes as we go on. But we keep our eyes on the goal and that keeps us going.
This week we’re still talking about eating healthy (because hopefully it’s still our goal and we haven’t given up yet). I was reminded as I read this article that we have to plan ahead. We need a vision of what we’re going to eat and we need to have the ingredients on hand. It’s well worth your time to take a peek at this article to get some ideas on freezer meals (breakfast and dinner), plus some awesome plan-ahead snack ideas. I especially love the Many Flavor Refrigerator Oatmeal option. The recipe & photo are below.
Speaking of great healthy snacks, did you know we have ready-to-go cubed cheese in many flavors here? Muenster, Marble, PepperJack, Cheddar, Green Onion and more. Just peek into the cooler and see what’s available for the day.
With the new year, we have new items!
No, there’s no theme at all, except they are mostly requests from our customers. Here are: Citric Acid, Neon Sour Gummy Worms, Blue Sprinkles, Veggie Chips (made from carrots, kale and spinach, Mini Animal Crackers.
Gluten/Allergy Free Day – January 16
Join us all day Saturday, January 16th to sample our allergy-free items. No matter your allergy, we’ll try to have something for you.
Come for lunch – GF sandwiches, snacks and treats for less than $5.
– Spend $30 on Gluten-Free day and receive a coupon for 25% off a Sami’s bakery item on your next visit.
Spread the word and enjoy a fun day!
Overnight Refrigerator Oatmeal with 14 Flavor Options
Because I’m not a huge fan of mornings, I love made-ahead breakfast. What a great option for school or work mornings!
- old fashioned rolled oats (not instant, quick, or steel-cut)
- Greek yogurt (regular yogurt is thinner; if you use it, reduce the amount of milk) (if you can’t have dairy, use soy or coconut milk yogurt or omit and adjust amount of milk needed)
- chia seeds
- half pint (1 cup) mason jars or any 1 c. glass/plastic container with a lid (because I like a hearty breakfast, I eat 2 c. of oatmeal and therefore use a pint jar)
Step 2. (All ingredients in italics available at The Country Cupboard)
- 1/4 cup uncooked old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried chia seeds
- desired sweeteners or flavors (see options below).
Step 3. Put a lid on the jar and shake to combine.
During the overnight soak, the oats and chia seeds absorb the liquid and soften. They have a great eating texture by the next day.Here are 14 Options.
1. Apple Cinnamon (1/2. t. cinnamon, 1 t. honey, 1/4 c. applesauce)
2. Blueberry Maple (2 t. maple syrup, 1/4 c. blueberries)
3. Mango almond (1/8t. almond extract, 1 t. honey, 1/2 diced mango or 1/4 c.)
4. Peanut Butter Banana (2 T. pb, 1 t. honey, 1/4 c. banana)
5. Raspberry Vanilla (1/2 t. vanilla, 1 t. honey, 1/4 c. raspberries)
6. Chocolate Banana (1 T. cocoa powder, 1 t. honey, 1/2 banana)
7. Pineapple Coconut (use 1/3 c. coconut milk instead, 1 t. honey, 1/4 c. pineapple, fresh or canned or dried)
8. Mandarin Orange (1 t. honey, 1 T. orange marmalade, 1/4c. drained canned mandarin oranges)
9. Cherry Garcia (1t. honey, 1/2 t. vanilla, 1 T. finely chopped dark chocolate or mini chocolate chips, 1/4c. chopped sweet/bing cherries)
10. Peach Melba (1/4 t. vanilla, 1-2T. raspberry jam, 1/4c. chopped peaches)
11. Pumpkin Pie (1/2 t. pumpkin pie spice, 2 t. maple syrup, 1/4 c. pumpkin)
12. Cranberry Pecan (small pinch of cloves, 1t. honey, 2T. cranberry sauce or craisins, 1 T. chopped pecans)
13. Apricot Ginger (1 t. honey, 1/8t. almond extract, 3 dried apriocots, diced, 1t. crystallized ginger, minced)
14. Mocha (2 t. honey, 1 t. cocoa powder, 1/2 t. instant espresso powder dissolved in 1 T. hot water)